QB Michael Vick of the Philadelphia Eagles, CB Brent Grimes of the Atlanta Falcons and KR/PR/WR Devin Hester of the Chicago Bears are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played the 15th week of the 2010 season (Dec. 16, 19-20).
Here’s a look at Vick’s performance:
* Vick passed for 242 yards with three touchdowns and rushed for 130 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles’ 38-31 win at the New York Giants.
* He orchestrated a 21-point fourth-quarter comeback, the ninth time in NFL history in which a team trailed by at least 21 points in the fourth quarter and won the game.
* Vick threw two touchdown passes and ran for a score in the fourth quarter as the Eagles scored 28 points in the final period, the most in franchise history.
* He is the first player in NFL history to throw for 240 yards and rush for 130 yards in the same game.
* Vick joins TOBIN ROTE (November 22, 1951) and RANDALL CUNNINGHAM (November 4, 1990) as the only players in NFL history to throw three touchdown passes and rush for at least 100 yards in a game.
* In his ninth season from Virginia Tech, this is Vick’s seventh career Player of the Week Award and third this season (Weeks 9 and 10).
* He is the first player in franchise history to be named Offensive Player of the Week three times in a season.
Here’s a look at Grimes’ performance:
* Grimes had three tackles, an interception and five passes defensed in the Falcons’ 34-18 win at Seattle.
* Atlanta’s defense held the Seahawks to 234 total net yards and 143 net yards passing.
* Grimes was part of a defensive unit that held Seattle’s quarterbacks to a 41.7 passer rating for the game.
* This season, Grimes leads the NFL with 22 passes defensed. He is tied for fourth in the NFC with five interceptions. With the victory, Atlanta clinched a playoff spot and is tied with New England for the best record in football at 12-2.
· In his third year from Shippensburg, this is Grimes’ first career Player of the Week Award.
· He joins DEION SANDERS (Weeks 4 and 12, 1991 and Week 15, 1993) and RAY BUCHANAN (Week 11, 1998) as the only cornerbacks in franchise history to be named Defensive Player of the Week.
Here’s a look at Hester’s performance:
* Hester set the NFL record for the most career combined kick-return touchdowns in the Bears’ 40-14 win at Minnesota.
* He had a 64-yard punt-return touchdown which marked the 14th combined kick-return touchdown of his career, surpassing BRIAN MITCHELL (13) for the most in NFL history.
* It was his 10th career punt-return touchdown, tied with ERIC METCALF (10) for the most in league annals.
* He added a 79-yard kickoff return in the game and caught a 15-yard touchdown pass. Since 2000, only four players have recorded a 75+ yard kickoff return and 60+ yard punt return in the same game and Hester is the only one to accomplish the feat multiple times.
* In his fifth season from Miami, this is Hester’s ninth career Player of the Week Award and second this season (Week 10).
* Hester’s nine career Special Teams Player of the Week Awards are the most ever by a return specialist.
* His nine total Player of the Week Awards are the most in franchise history.
-- Adam Caplan